Hospital

A look at OhioHealth Shelby Hospital.

OhioHealth Shelby Hospital celebrated its 100th anniversary on April 20, 2021. Here is a timeline of medical care in Shelby through the years.

 
* In the early 1900s, the first published city directory listed 12 medical doctors in the Shelby community. They served the community from their individual offices, making house calls and even performing some operations on kitchen tables.
 
* In 1916, rooms were provided for nursing services at 79 E. Main St. This became known as the emergency room and provided a place where doctors could perform some operations.
 
* Shelby’s hospital services started as a function of what became known as the Shelby Public Health League
 
* The public health and emergency rooms were located in 1917 just east of what was known as the Hicks and Martin building
 
* A severe flu struck in the fall of 1918 and many died
 
* On Dec. 22, 1918, the services were moved to what was known as the St. Mark's parish house on the southeast corner of North Gamble Street and West Whitney Avenue
 
* The facilities of the Health League and the Red Cross rooms on the top floor of the K of P building Main Street were the only hospital facilities available
 
* The experience demonstrated the need for more complete hospital facilities and the Health League went to work looking for a more suitable location to establish a full-fledged hospital in Shelby
 
* On Feb. 18, 1919, the Health League voted to buy the E.S. Close homestead of West Main Street, and a down payment of $1,000 was made on the property on April 1, 1919 for use as Shelby Memorial Hospital.
 
* A Hospital Association in Shelby was formed to take over the responsibility of seeing the hospital project to completion
 
* Money was raised for the extensive remodeling of the Close property and “a very complete small hospital was opened to the public on April 20, 1921.”
 
* The hospital was dedicated “In memoriam of soldiers, sailors and marines of Shelby and vicinity in 1919.”
 
* Following World War I, the hospital was rededicated to the “men and women of the United States who served their country in war to uphold the principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity.”
 
SOURCE: Shelby Daily Globe archives
 

Recommended for you