SHELBY --- Facing heavy smoke pouring from the building and flames on the roof, crews battled an apartment building fire just west of downtown Shelby on Tuesday.
No injuries were reported in the fire that resulted in extensive damage to the more than century-old building at 16 Bridge St.
The fire's cause is undetermined and under investigation, Shelby Fire Chief Mike Thompson said Wednesday.
Five people who lived in the building are being assisted by the American Red Cross, which is providing shelter to them, Thompson added.
About 4:45 p.m. Tuesday, April 6, firefighters had responded to the scene on a report of an apartment fire.
Smoke and some flames were seen coming from the roof of the two-story building just north of the Whitney Avenue overpass.
In addition to eight firefighters from the Shelby Fire Department, through mutual aid, crews from the Shiloh fire department were at the scene.
Shelby police provided traffic control as vehicular travel was restricted in the area of Auburn Avenue and Sharon Street while firefighters worked at the scene.
Officials said the building contained about four apartment units. Richland County property records show the building dates back to 1910.
Separately in another run, Chief Thompson reported that the Shelby Fire Department was providing mutual aid early Wednesday at a house fire in Franklin Township.
That blaze was reported about 4 a.m. off Reynolds Road in the vicinity of State Route 13. The home later was described as a total loss, according to preliminary reports.
No injuries were reported in that Reynolds Road fire.
- Shelby park board lays groundwork for levy renewal
- Sharon Township announces spring cleanup event
- Flashes compete at BC's Stache Dash
- Proposed building addition emerges as option in Jackson Township
- Shelby boys win Ontario Relays; Lady Whippets finish third
- Boy Scouts lead clean-up efforts near Shelby
- Jackson looking toward road improvements
- Whippets rally in late innings to win 10-7, now trail Ontario by a game
- Whippets crush visiting Mansfield Christian 22-0
- Apartments struck by gunfire in Shelby
- Shelby man indicted on child pornography charges, feds report
- Lady Whippets finish strong at MVD Tournament
- Ohio COVID cases moving in 'wrong direction'
- Fast start propels Lady Whippets in 11-1 rout of Harding
- Shelby track teams are second at Perkins Pirate Invitational
- UPDATE: 5 displaced in Shelby apartment building fire
- 400 unused COVID vaccines leave Shelby
- Buyer emerges for Auburn and Dowds school sites in Shelby